Friday, March 7, 2014

The Seven Year Itch (1955)


Two words: Marilyn Monroe. It's so random, but I have a serious obsession with her right now. All I want to do is sit on Netflix and watch every single movie she's ever made. I had seen Some Like It Hot about a year ago and loved the movie, but I didn't have an itch to watch all of her movies. Now, that's all I want to do!

The first movie I decided to start out with is The Seven Year Itch, which is about a man who's family goes away for summer vacation while he stays at home and is tempted by his gorgeous new neighbor. The style this movie is told is so fun and I love how the main character Richard just talks to himself throughout the entire movie. He's happy that he can drink and smoke all he wants with his wife and son not around, but his wife's presence is still always there in the back of his mind. While he seems crazy at times, Richard's loyalty to his wife of seven years is put to the test with his tempting new neighbor, who happens to be none other than the gorgeous Marilyn Monroe.




Marilyn is so pretty in this movie, and her character is just too adorable. While she still plays the typical dumb blonde who is praised for her beauty, her character (who I don't even think has a name) simply wants a friend who isn't going to hit on her or propose to her. And what better friend is there than a married man, a man who already has a wife and couldn't possible propose? Marilyn is so much fun, from her chips and champagne, to her love for Richard's air conditioner. I knew I was going to laugh every time she walked into Richard's apartment.





Aside from Marilyn, my other favorite aspects of this movie were the colors and 1950s style. I loved Richard's apartment and office, and how colorful everything seemed to be. There were blues, pinks, greens, and yellows that all seemed to pop on screen. Then, the outfits the women wore were great. From their hair and glasses to their dresses and shoes, the style captured the 50s era and reminded me why I love it so much.

And can I just say, I love all of the books in Richard's apartment. He has a big bookcase making up his back wall that is stacked full of books. Then, he has books lining the staircase that leads to nowhere on the other side of his living room. I would sure love to live in an apartment like that!










I had no idea the famous dress scene was in this movie, so I was completely surprised when Marilyn stepped over the grate with her flowy white dress and it blew up in the breeze. She just wanted to cool off in the insane New York heat! Haha, but this scene was, as her character always is, completely cute and fun. I wish I could live such a carefree life, strutting around in gorgeous outfits and only having to worry about air-conditioning.

Overall, while there wasn't much to the plot, The Seven Year Itch was a cute movie with some great actors. I loved the playful nature of the characters and the unique portrayal of Richard's character. You'd think he was crazy from how much he talks to himself, but the comical nature of his relationship with his new neighbor makes his banter with himself just another funny aspect of the movie. For a short and sweet movie with the magical touch of Marilyn Monroe, go ahead and check out The Seven Year Itch on Netflix!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...