Tuesday, January 8, 2013

I [heart] going to the movies

Seriously, I really do love going to the movies. There's nothing better than sitting in the cozy theater seats and settling down to watch what may or may not be your next favorite movie for the next 2 hours. Over the last 3 and 1/2 weeks of break, I have had the chance to see 5 movies in theater and I must say, I enjoyed all of them quite a bit! And the best part about them is that they're all so different from each other, so I was always in for something new. 

I am so lucky to have three theaters around where I live, one being the nicest, one being mediocre, and the last being the dollar theater. That being said, there are always an array of movies in different stages of release that I can go see at any time. The best part, though, is that at two of the theaters the first showing of the movie that day is only $5 and then all movies at the dollar theater are $1.75 (I know, the prices have gone up there over the years. So sad.) Anyways, that's basically why I've been able to see so many movies this month. I'd thought I'd share with you guys what I've seen and how awesome I thought they all were. 

The Hobbit I saw this movie literally two hours ago and it was so amazing. I'm not a die hard LoTR fan or anything, but I am a die hard Martin Freeman fan, so I was over the moon excited to see him play Bilbo Baggins. I was a little worried about the incredibly long length of the movie (2 hr 45 min), but there was just enough action, retellings, and happenings in the movie to keep you strapped in your seat for the entire movie. *****5 stars*****

Les Miserables I never saw the musical version of this movie, but I've had plenty of friends who absolutely adored it, so I knew I had to see it right away. That being said, I had absolutely no idea the ENTIRE movie was in song. It got a little getting used to, but I think I actually liked how it turned out in the end. Hugh Jackman is a phenomenal singer and I have loved Amanda Seyfried ever since Mamma Mia, so I knew she would be awesome too. Some songs seemed a bit too long and some parts of the movie dragged on, but I still appreciated the movie for what it was. ****4 stars****

The Silver Linings Playbook I hadn't heard of this movie until my sister told me it was nominated for The Golden Globes and told me what it was about. A movie about psychotic people? When can I see it? Haha, but really, I was intrigued by the idea of Bradley Cooper and Jennifer Lawrence being two mentally unstable people who help each other see the silver linings in their lives. The movie was definitely different, but I loved how the characters were and how the story came out to be. There were really funny moments and then there were super serious moments, but overall it came together really great. ****4 stars****

The Perks of Being A Wallflower This. Movie. Was. Amazing. I read the book last year and fell completely in love with it. I knew that I had to see the movie, and I finally did after four months. And I fell in love with the story all over again. Logan Lerman did a fantastic job playing Charlie's character and I felt all the emotion for him on the screen that I had felt for the Charlie in the book. Emma Watson's accent was kind of weird, but she was a great Sam. There were so many moments I was on the verge of tears and so many times I laughed out loud and I loved every second of it. *****5 stars*****

Argo I'm not really a fan of historical movies, but my dad and sister really wanted to see this one and I was interested on seeing how the story turned out (I never heard about it since it happened before I was born) so I decided to tag along. I was so shocked because I actually found myself really interested in the movie. While there were slow parts, it was so interesting to see how all of the events really turned out. My dad said he was in high school when the hostage situation took place, so he said it was really cool learning about it and seeing the actual footage being mixed in with the movie. I think if I were interested in political/historical movies I would have really loved this movie, but liking the kinds of movies I do like, this movie wasn't that bad at all. ****4 stars****

2 comments:

  1. I want to see Silver Linings Playbook! I heart Jennifer Lawrence and Bradley Cooper (did you know he speaks French? Swoooooon!) Sadly, no dollar theater near me. I'll just wait for redbox!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't wait to see Perks! It's in my local dollar theater and I'm going Thursday, rain or shine :)

    Whenever I think about that book it makes me smile... it should really be a must read. I hope your Wednesday is going well!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...