Wednesday, January 23, 2013

10 Classics I Should Really Read....Like Now

I love books. That's really no secret. But a secret that I do have is this: My background in the classics is seriously lacking. Now, some of you probably don't care. So what that I haven't read the classics? Well, I care. Because I'm dedicating my life to teaching literature to high school students and I should probably know what I'm going to be teaching them. There are so many times when I'm like, "Oh yeah, I really should read that one soon!" but that never happens. So I've decided I'm going to read more classics this year and I thought I'd share with you guys the top 10 I'm determined to get through in 2013. 


1. Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen
2. Dracula by Bram Stoker
3. Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
4. Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov
5. The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain 
6. The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde 
7. Little Women by Louisa May Alcott
8. Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte
9. Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy 
10. Emma by Jane Austen

The thing I love most about these classics, though, have got to be the covers. There are so many out there and I want them all! I already own THREE copies of Wuthering Heights because I love the different editions and just had to have them. Not to mention it's my favorite classic, so I don't mind owning multiple copies ;)

I'm really excited to complete my goal and read these ten classics this year. I'm hoping that once I read pretty much all of them, I can watch their movies right after! I've already seen the Kiera Knightly version of Pride and Prejudice and fell in love, so that's probably the book I'm most excited to get to this year. 

Are you guys a fan of the classics? Which one do you think I should read first? 


4 comments:

  1. i LOVED the pictured of dorian gray...but also oscar wilde is one of my favorites. Read the importance of being ernest...you might die of laughter haha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh I'll definitely have to add that other one to my TBR list. Thanks for the recommendation :)

      Delete
  2. If you read one Jane Austen in your lifetime, make it Emma! By far longer and significantly better than Pride and Prejudice, Emma is the book that inspired the movie "Clueless". Also, Gone with the Wind is excellent. I read it in AP History in high school, but it was very good besides that. And Little Women is good, too. Actually, if you were to only make it through three of these ten books this year, chose Emma, Gone with the Wind, and Little Women!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll keep that in mind! I know someone who just finished reading Gone With the Wind and she loved it. I'm thinking of choosing Emma first, though, because I'm dying to expand my Jane Austen knowledge. Hopefully I like it as much as everyone else does!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...